On September 1, 2015, Microsoft launched one Education Office 365 plan called Office 365 Education, and it will be $0. This will not impact any existing Office 365 Education customers, but any aspiring academic institutions considering Office 365 for its students, faculty, and staff will no longer need to choose between E1, E3, or E4; they simply need to consider the Office 365 Education agreement.
What is all included in the new Office 365 Education agreement?
The new plan includes everything that is in E3 except Office 365 ProPlus and Skype for Business Plus CAL. Additionally, in order to qualify for Office 365 Education Plus, customers must continue to license Office (either via Desktop SKU, Office Professional Plus, or Office 365 ProPlus standalone) for 100% of the institution’s staff/faculty.
1Academic plans include business hours support for all non-critical issues.
2Adds Access, Group Policy, Telemetry, support for shared computer activation (RDS), Push Deployment, Update Controls, IRM, DLP, BI, Enterprise Voice, Site Mailboxes, Archiving & Retention
3Sway will be available to customers (initially in First Release) with subscriptions to the following SKUs: Office 365 E4, Office 365 E3, Office 365 E1, Office 365 ProPlus, Office 365 Business, Office 365 Business Premium, Office 365 Business Essentials, Office 365 OneDrive for Business, Office 365 Small Business, Office 365 Small Business Premium, Office 365 Midsize Business, Office 365 EDU E4, Office 365 EDU E3, Office 365 EDU E1, or Office 365 EDU ProPlus.
4Also included with Exchange Online, OneDrive for Business, SharePoint Online, and Skype for Business standalone plans.
*ERP per user/month (Student / Faculty).
What do these changes mean for existing Office 365 Education E1 and E3/E4 customers?
As indicated above, the Office 365 Education will replace the existing Office 365 Education E3/E4 plans with the exception of the ProPlus and Skype for Business benefits. However, until Microsoft has a seamless transition path in place, existing E3/E4 customers can continue to renew their agreements and add seats at pricing updated to reflect plan changes:
- EES/School: E3/E4 SKUs will continue to be available for renewal and anniversary with the adjusted price on the lead status pricelist.
- OVS-ES: E3/E4 SKUs will continue to be available on pricelist for renewals. Promo code will be available in mid-September so partner can enable adjusted pricing at anniversary – no LE/LS touch required.
- MPSA and Direct: E3/E4 SKUs will continue to be available for renewals at the adjusted price.
- Customers that have already purchased E3/E4 will transition to the reduced price at renewal or on extension without an amendment.
As for E1, customers do not need to take any action. They can continue to renew E1, and will be automatically provided with the increased features, which include:
Why is Microsoft making these changes?
Microsoft recognizes the need for today’s education institutions to provide greater security, information protection, and management in a safe and compliant online learning environment. It’s important for teachers and students to focus solely on teaching and learning while IT focuses on the safety, security and compliance capabilities of the underlying technology. Microsoft restructured its education offerings to deliver critical features at no additional cost.
Quick Recap/Key Points
- Office 365 Education agreement replaced E1, E3, and E4 effective September 1st.
- Office 365 Education includes everything in E3 except Office ProPlus and Skype Business Cals.
- E1 customers will be automatically upgraded.
- Office 365 Education qualifies not for the Education Benefits: Office 365 ProPlus for Students/Faculty/Staff and Windows 10 Education Student Benefit.
- Customers must continue to license Office (either via Desktop SKU, Office Professional Plus, or Office 365 ProPlus standalone) for 100% of the institution’s staff/faculty.
- Educational institutions either have a contract with SoftwareONE or not can receive these Benefits fully managed through SoftwareONE’s Academic Portal.
If you have any additional questions regarding these changes, click the banner below and fill out the accompanying form, and one of our licensing experts will get in touch with you.